The very concept of a house fire is scary, and there’s no disputing the fact that devastating house fires do occur. To help prevent this tragedy in your family home, here are some tips.
Outlets In this day and age of electronics, outlets are often used to the utmost. Don’t overload an outlet; if you need to plug in multiple plugs, use a surge-protected power strip, not extension cords. Make sure all cords are in good repair, with no fraying or tears. Remove and replace any cords that are hot.
Candles The romantic glow of a candle adds ambience to a home, but make sure they are not fire hazards. Keep them well away from curtains and furniture, and out of the reach of children and pets. (Cats are especially prone to igniting their fur as they tend to jump on tabletops and into bay windows.) Never light candles and leave the room; you might forget about them and go to bed without snuffing them out.
Continue reading →