When you’re setting up your living space, houseplants are a natural consideration. After all, they add living greenery to your rooms, and many of them help clean indoor air. However, if you have pets and/or small children, they can be poisoned if they ingest certain houseplants. Cats love grass-like plants, and dogs may pull an entire plant out of its pot and chew it up. Small children tend to put leaves, berries, and flowers into their mouths.
Generally speaking, a rather large amount of a poisonous plant needs to be ingested for it to cause harm; but small animals and children under three are more vulnerable to smaller amounts of poisons.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to educate yourself as to which plants may pose a threat. Here is a list of some of the more toxic houseplants. If you have any of these, there may not necessarily be a need to throw them away or give them to neighbors without small children or pets. Just make sure the plants are out of the reach of your smaller household occupants. If that’s not possible, then you will probably want to get rid of them.
Continue reading →