What is Holistic Positive Parenting?
Holistic Positive Parenting is a comprehensive, evidence-based, practical, and highly effective approach to parenting.
- Holistic involves an approach based on child development that puts parents in the role of a child’s first teacher encompassing all developmental domains including physical, language, intellectual and social-emotional.
- Holistic involves the whole family supporting each other and promoting the physical health and psychological well-being of each member of the family.
- Holistic involves the family interacting with each other and engaging in mutually enjoyable activities to promote connectedness, resilience, and each family member’s creativity and personal development.
- Positive includes teaching and reinforcing social-emotional skills that improve cooperation, respect, open communication, independence, and self-control.
- Positive includes using mutual problem solving to resolve conflicts along with teaching the necessary skills to ensure the success of the solution.
- Positive includes providing age-appropriate structure and boundaries to ensure safety, cooperation, and personal achievement.
How does the course work?
This 8-hour course uses a self-paced eLearning approach providing a logical flow of information and skill development.
- The course starts by equipping parents with the latest information on the parent-child relationship, child development, and neuropsychological skill-building.
- Next comes practical suggestions for building a family organization to promote cooperation and shared responsibility.
- That is followed by helping children and parents develop and improve communication skills, problem-solving, and emotional regulation that promotes cooperation, self-control, and aides in conflict resolution. It also provides parents with the tools necessary to provide appropriate structure and encouragement to assure that children and teens practice and use their skills effectively and appropriately. Parents and kids are also introduced to mindfulness and how to use this valuable approach to daily living to develop coping skills and a mindset that fosters confidence, resilience, and compassion for others.
- The next two lessons provide suggestions and tools to promote fun and positive family activities that promote connectedness and self-esteem. They also provide information and tools to enable all family members to improve physical fitness, healthy eating, and restful sleep.
- Finally, the last lesson provides information and tools related to the appropriate and safe use of digital devices and engagement with cyberspace.
What is provided by the course?
- The course provides both narrated slides, videos, and written materials. The written materials provide additional information expanding on the lesson material as well as useful tools to implement the recommended strategies and activities.
- The materials also provide links to websites provided by professional societies, universities, government agencies, and charitable organizations providing valuable information and useful tools. These resources greatly enhance parenting skills as well as provide children with access to information and experiences that foster creativity and improve physical, intellectual, and social-emotional development.
The course is produced, written, and narrated by Robert Myers, Ph.D. (clinical child psychologist), and Pamela Myers, BS.ED (elementary school teacher, retired). Dr. Myers has years of clinical experience working with children, adolescents, and families and also as a parent educator. He is a member of the American Psychological Association and the Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. He also has been involved in the training of future child psychologists and child psychiatrists as an Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at UC Irvine School of Medicine. Bob and Pam are parents of two adult children and grandparents. They both have also donated their time to a wide range of community-based programs for youth and their families.