When it comes to their kids, parents want them to have the best. Exposure to things like sports and the arts help them to become more well rounded young men and women. Have you thought about ballet? Kids are into all sorts of afterschool sports and other activities like piano and violin lessons. Dancing is a great medium for both girls and boys. And, they can start young. Classical ballet may have been pushed aside in favor of tap dancing, hip-hop, jazz and other forms. But, did you know that beginning with ballet will help with these other types of dancing? That is just one little secret weíre letting you in on. Ballet dancers make it look effortless as they move across the stage. From the lifts to the toe points, many wonder how they can do it. Your kids can also be a part of this through the practice of classical ballet. Ballet classes can start for young kids around ages four and five. For them, being in front of all those mirrors and the bar is something new and exciting. Some of the benefits of ballet for young kids are:
- They learn to follow instructions
- They gain a sense of discipline through learning new positions
- They learn co-ordination, balance and how to control their bodies in motion
- They are active and getting daily exercise
- They become comfortable performing before groups
When a child is young, learning new things is easier for them. They can adapt and learn more quickly than when they are older. So, once a child begins in ballet at an early age, they are not only learning a valued art form but also getting trained for the life that is ahead of them. This is just the beginning, though. As a child continues to pursue ballet, youíll see more benefits emerging – especially when they become adolescents and into the teenage years.
- They develop long and strong muscles from the practice of ballet
- They gain a sense of self-confidence and pride in their bodies and what they can accomplish
- They learn how to work to get what they want out of their performance
- The skills learned in ballet are useful for other forms of dancing like tap or jazz if they want to take that up later
- They learn about proper nutrition to keep their bodies in shape so they can dance
Maybe you’ve never considered ballet as an afterschool activity before. Now that you are aware of some of the wonderful benefits of this form of dance you have another option for your children. Who knows, one day they could be dancing across stages all over the country and beyond.